Monday, June 6, 2011

Georgia on My Mind....

"sweet tea, pecan pie and homemade wine; where the peaches grow" -zbb

Finally, after a 400 something mile drive alone with nothing but an Arnie Palmer Pink Lemonade edition, pretzel crisps and an ipod full of country tunes I arrived safe and sound at my new home for the summer, 41 Myrtlewood Drive.
hi gram & gramps!

I unloaded all my bags from the car, with grandpa's help and after a yummy (and healthy) dinner of fresh fruit and a chicken salad wrap with blueberry peach cobbler for dessert (love grandma's house), I began the tiresome chore of unpacking. I tuned in to my fave show, Arrested Development to help pass the time.

all settled in- my new room!


Today I spent a little time getting transitioned and familiarized with driving around Savannah (it's much busier than lazy Blacksburg in the summer!) I met the twins- little Jeb and Ava; I brought my crazy little cousin Kylie, who incidentally is the same age and friends with the twins- and she helped the kiddos feel a little bit more comfortable around their new nanny. I get to hang out with the twins three times a week- mondays, tuesdays and thursdays, the other days they attend some summer day camps so I'm not really needed except to pick up and drop off. On my off days I'm just taking care of little Kylie- and my aunt has even offered to pay, which is nice! I tried to convince her not to- it seems weird to get paid by family, but I didn't have much luck, she's insisting...and if I'm reaaaally honest, I'll admit I need as much monies as possible. Oh, the life of a broke college student. My goal for the summer while I'm here: save as much money as possible. This is going to prove a challenge since Savannah has some great shopping...I'll just have to stay away from Broughton St. downtown....no Marc Jacobs visits for me!

I'm trying to keep myself busy- I go to bed early so I can wake up early and hit the gym/go on an early morning run. I explored my grandparents expansive neighborhood this morning- every house I ran by looked like it belonged on the cover of southern living- each one had it's own unique southern charm and the lawns were lavishly manicured, with not one blade of grass out of place. It sure is a different world down here.
Despite keeping busy, I feel some weird pangs of loneliness- these days I've been missing my Kappa Delta ladies more than ever! It's always hard to keep in touch during the summer with everyone on different schedules, but hopefully we can work out some time for my girls to come visit me, or vice versa.

On another more cheery note, today is my grandparents 47th wedding anniversary! Wow! What a remarkable number of years to be married...it's awe-inspiring. My gramps got grams a dozen beautiful red roses and a cheesy little card and we all celebrated with a home cooked meal. 47 years sure is something to be proud of, and something to celebrate! Congratulations Grandma & Grandpa- you give true meaning to "for better or worse"!

"A tramp, a gentleman, a poet, a dreamer, a lonely fellow, always hopeful of romance and adventure." -Charlie Chaplin 

♥  ✌.
xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment