Thursday, September 15, 2011

Green Eggs & Ham

"I do not like Green Eggs and Ham, I do not like them Sam I am!" 

One of the greatest lines from my childhood. I remember my mom reading that book to my siblings and I often when we were much younger, it was one of my favorites. So needless to say, I was thrilled when I went into my classroom today and my teacher told me I was doing Dr. Seuss with the kids today. After I would read two books of my choice, and discuss them we would read Green Eggs and Ham and then I would get to help the children make scrambled eggs with a bit of parsley- to make them green! I knew it was going to be an exciting day in Ms. Stone's kindergarten class! 

The two Dr. Seuss books I chose to read to my kindergarteners were "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", and "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?" First I read "The Grinch", which is another one of my favorite childhood stories (I love the original cartoon movie, classic!) After I finished, I asked the students what did they think was the meaning, or message that Dr. Seuss was trying to send. Leighton, one of my little buddies (although I'm not technically supposed to have favorites, but if I did...he would definitely be one of them) raised his hand and promptly piped up: "That we can have a Merry Christmas, even without all the presents!" 

Something tugged at my heartstrings and for a moment I was at a loss for words. I gulped a little, still wrestling with this sudden upswelling of emotion, and replied that yes, Leighton that was exactly what Dr. Seuss wanted us to know...but I knew why I was suddenly overcome with all that emotion. I knew this was the reason I wanted to be a teacher, to experience moments like this, when my students would speak far beyond their years and grasp a mature and meaningful message like the one I was trying to convey to them. I felt proud inside.

Making scrambled green eggs was so much fun with the kiddies! The kids all got to crack an egg each and were so enthralled with the way they turned from a sunshine yellow liquid to scrambled eggs- just like magic! We added parsley to make them "green" and I dished out the plates to my students and they happily gobbled them up. It was such a good Dr. Seuss Day!


"Say! I like green eggs and ham, I do! I like them, Sam I am!" 

Here's a funny little video version if you want to relive your childhood (I know I loved doing it today with my kindergarteners!)


Happy Thursday, Ya'll! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment